Steps to Apply
Cal State Apply Application Checklist
Have the following items on hand before you begin your application:
- Your Social Security Number, if you have one.
- Your citizenship status.
- Credit card. Application fees are due at the time of submission and are paid by credit card.
- Annual income.
SDSU uses the California State University common admission application through the Cal State Apply website. The application requires a $70 fee that is non-refundable and may not be transferred to another term. Application fee waivers are not available to graduate applicants. If you cannot apply online, contact the Office of Admissions to make special arrangements to apply electronically with campus assistance.
Guidelines for Completing the Cal State Apply Application
- Your application will only be reviewed for the intended program indicated on your Cal State Apply application.
- Only one application per student will be considered. Do not submit multiple applications as this will result in processing delays.
- Review the list of academic programs to confirm you are applying to the correct program.
- Provide an accurate and valid email address. If you fail to provide us with a valid email address, you will not receive information critical to your status as an applicant. Please adjust your privacy settings to ensure you receive emails from SDSU.
- After you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
Within two weeks of submitting your Cal State Apply application, you will receive an email from San Diego State University that includes your RedID number, which is your SDSU student identification number. You will use this number to create your SDSU WebPortal account. You will use your RedID number and SDSU WebPortal account to check the status of your application.
Guidelines for Creating an SDSU WebPortal Account
- You must have a valid email address to create your SDSU WebPortal account.
- Check your spam and junk email folders to ensure your privacy settings are not preventing you from receiving email from SDSU. Your email privacy settings should be adjusted to receive SDSU emails.
- If you need additional assistance activating your SDSU WebPortal account, please contact the SDSU Office of the Registrar at (619) 594-6871 or by email at [email protected].
Graduate applicants are required to submit official transcripts in sealed envelopes (issued by the school) from all post-secondary schools attended. Do not send transcripts before submitting the Cal State Apply application as this may result in processing delays.
|U.S. Postsecondary Institutions||
The deadline to submit official transcripts will be indicated in your SDSU WebPortal account under Admission Status. Official documents should be submitted to:
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
SDSU requires all applicants for admission to advanced degree programs to submit one of the following test scores to be considered for admission:
(Graduate Record Exam)
(Graduate Management Assessment Test)
(Law School Admission Test)
All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants (regardless of citizenship status) applying to SDSU from an international institution where the medium of instruction was not English, must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
Program-specific supplemental documents (resume, personal statement, letter of recommendation) should be submitted directly to your graduate department. Please do not send supplemental documents to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Review the individual academic program for specific instructions, requirements and deadlines.
Questions regarding program specific documents should be directed to the department. Contact information for each department and links to the department website can be found on the academic programs page for your major.