Step 5: Submit Proof of English Proficiency
All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants (regardless of citizenship status) applying to SDSU from an international institution where the medium of instruction was not English, must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL minimum score of 80 iBT/ 550 PBT: Score must be sent electronically from Educational Testing Service (ETS) using the SDSU institution code: 4682. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- IELTS overall score of 6.5 or higher: Score report must be sent directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- PTE minimum score of 58 or higher: Score report must be sent directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Official transcripts have been received indicating English as the principal language of instruction.
Guidelines for Submitting English Proficiency Results
- The name on your TOEFL/IELTS/PTE results must match the name on your SDSU application. If the name does not match exactly, there will be a delay in matching the score to your file. If the name on your exam does not match the name on your application, submit a copy of your TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score report with your RedID number to [email protected].
- If you did not specify SDSU as an institution to receive your test results at the time of your TOEFL testing, contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) at (609) 771-7267 to have the scores sent to SDSU (institution code: 4682). ETS charges a fee for the additional request.