Steps to Apply
Cal State Apply Application Checklist
Plan ahead and apply early. Have the following items on hand before you begin your application:
- Unofficial transcripts. You'll be asked to enter all courses you've completed, those currently in progress, and any you plan to take.
- Your Social Security Number, if you have one.
- Your citizenship status.
- Credit card. Application fees are due at the time of submission and are paid by credit card.
- Annual income. If you are a dependent, then use your parents income. If you are independent, then use your income.
- CCCID and Campus ID. Required for ADT applicants from a California community college. These numbers should be printed on your transcript.
- Your parent's employment background and two recommendations. This applies only if you are applying to the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP).
How to Apply
SDSU uses the California State University common admission application through the Cal State Apply website. A nonrefundable filing fee of $70 must accompany your application. If you cannot apply online, contact the Office of Admissions to make special arrangements to apply electronically with campus assistance.
You must choose a major when you apply to SDSU. All majors are competitive, meaning every major has more applicants than available slots (the CSU calls this impaction). Transfer students are admitted based on their intended major for a bachelor's degree at SDSU. Therefore, you will not be able to change your major as an applicant or admitted student. You must report all transfer coursework from all institutions you have previously attended.
Admission decisions are initially based on self-reported information provided on your Cal State Apply and SDSU Supplemental applications. You must provide complete and accurate information on your application. Any misreporting will jeopardize an admission offer.
Do not send your transcripts unless you are offered admission.
Within two weeks of submitting your Cal State Apply application, you will receive an email from San Diego State University that includes your RedID number, which is your SDSU student identification number. You will use this number to create your SDSU WebPortal account and in the future, you will use this number to log in to your SDSU WebPortal account to check the status of your application.
Guidelines for Creating an SDSU WebPortal Account
- You must have a valid email address to create your SDSU WebPortal account.
- Check your spam and junk email folders to ensure your privacy settings are not preventing you from receiving email from SDSU. Your email privacy settings should be adjusted to receive SDSU emails.
- When you are asked to enter a Social Security Number (SSN), re-enter your RedID number in this field.
- If you need additional assistance activating your SDSU WebPortal account, please contact the SDSU Office of the Registrar at (619) 594-6871 or by email at [email protected].
The online SDSU Supplemental Application will be available early January in your SDSU WebPortal. The SDSU Supplemental Application is a requirement for all upper-division transfer, upper-division readmission applicants, and those seeking a second bachelor's degree in nursing. This step is not optional. The SDSU Supplemental Application is used to gather essential information necessary for admission decisions. Therefore, it is required. Your admission is based on the information provided on both the Cal State Apply and SDSU Supplemental applications.
The Transfer Supplemental Application Tutorial will be available in January 2020 to assist you with completing the SDSU Supplemental Application. Please review this tutorial prior to completing and submitting the SDSU Supplemental Application.
If you are admitted, your admission is provisional pending verification of the self-reported information on your Cal State Apply and SDSU Supplemental applications using your official transcript(s). Admission may be rescinded if your GPA, test scores or course grades are lower than what you reported on the application, or if you miss any admission deadlines. To ensure accuracy, refer to your college transcripts or education plan.
SDSU Supplemental Application Timeline
The deadline to complete your SDSU Supplemental Application will be January 22, 2020. No changes can be made to the Supplemental Application after that time. Do not skip this very important step. Requests to complete the SDSU Supplemental Application after the deadline will not be approved.
After you successfully create your SDSU WebPortal account, you will have access to your Admission Status menu option.
In January 2020, you will receive an email instructing you to complete the SDSU Supplemental Application, which will be accessible in your SDSU WebPortal account under the Admission Status menu option. You will need to refer to your transcripts when completing the SDSU Supplemental Application. Be prepared in advance by collecting copies of all college transcripts with fall 2019 grades and any in-progress or planned courses for spring 2020, so you may refer to them as you complete the SDSU Supplemental Application.