Facts & Figures
Founded in 1897, San Diego State University is a public institution of higher education located in southern California. SDSU is the oldest higher education institution in San Diego. SDSU continues to gain recognition as a leader in higher education.
By the Numbers
Learn What Sets Us Apart
- International business program: No. 17 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Entrepreneurship program: No. 27 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Research: Grant funding rose 17 percent in 2023, reaching $192.2 million—the highest amount in university history.
- Diversity: Named a Diversity Champion and awarded the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award by INSIGHT Into Diversity, the only California school to earn both awards.
- Fulbright scholars: More than 100 students have received Fulbright awards, making SDSU a top producer in Fulbright winners.
- Graduation: No. 49 in highest four-year graduation rates, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Social Mobility: No. 38 in social mobility, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Lifelong learning classes, seminars, and certificate programs through SDSU Global Campus.