Facts & Figures
Founded in 1897, San Diego State University is a public institution of higher education located in southern California. SDSU is the oldest higher education institution in San Diego. SDSU continues to gain recognition as a leader in higher education.
By the Numbers
Learn What Sets Us Apart
- International business program: No. 13 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Entrepreneurship program: No. 30 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Research: Grant funding rose 17 percent in 2022, reaching $164.5 million—the highest amount in university history.
- Diversity: Top 57 nationwide for ethnic diversity, according to U.S. News and World Report.
- Fulbright scholars: More than 90 students have received Fulbright awards, making SDSU a top producer in Fulbright winners.
- Gilman scholars: 16 San Diego State University students were selected to receive a Gilman scholarship, which provided them with the opportunity to study abroad in 2021. SDSU is among the top 20 producers of Gilman scholars nationwide.
- Lifelong learning classes, seminars, and certificate programs through SDSU Global Campus.