Facts & Figures
Founded in 1897, San Diego State University is a public institution of higher education located in southern California. SDSU is the oldest higher education institution in San Diego. SDSU continues to gain recognition as a leader in higher education.
By the Numbers
Learn What Sets Us Apart
- International business program: No. 11 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Entrepreneurship program: No. 37 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Research: Grant funding rose 10 percent in 2018–19, reaching $148.5 million—the second-highest amount in university history.
- Diversity: Top 30 nationwide for ethnic diversity, according to U.S. News and World Report.
- Fulbright scholars: More than 90 students have received Fulbright awards, making SDSU a top producer in Fulbright winners.
- Gilman scholars: Eight San Diego State University students were selected to receive a Gilman scholarship, which provides them with the opportunity to study abroad, this year. SDSU has had 33 Gilman scholars to date, ranking in the top 20 nationwide.
- Lifelong learning classes, seminars, and certificate programs through SDSU Global Campus