International First-Year Students
Apply Today - Application Opens October 1
- Early Consideration Deadline – November 30 – students who submit completed documents by the deadline will be notified of a decision by early spring. Dance, music, nursing, or theatre arts-performance applicants must apply by this deadline. Review the information for Majors with Additional Requirements.
- Regular Deadline – April 1 – students who submit completed documents will be notified on a rolling basis.
Who Is a First-Year Student?
You can apply to SDSU as a first-year student if you have:
- Not yet graduated high school, but will graduate with a high school diploma/certificate by spring 2024 or
- Graduated high school, but have not taken any college courses after graduation.
Note: If you have earned ANY college or university credit (international or domestic) after graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student and must meet the CSU transfer admission requirements. SDSU is not accepting applications for a second bachelor's degree except in nursing.
If you are graduating from a high school outside of the United States, your application will be reviewed on the following admission criteria:
- Completion of high school/secondary level. A certified copy of graduation certificate or diploma will be required prior to enrollment at SDSU. Review the Requirements by Country for country specific information.
- A minimum U.S. equivalent GPA (grade point average) of 3.0 (B grade or 80 percent) or higher.
- English Proficiency: If you are attending or have attended a high school where English was not the primary language of instruction, you must meet university-level competence in English through one of the following:
- TOEFL – Passing score is 80 iBT/550 paper or higher.
- IELTS – Passing overall score is 6.5 or higher.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) – Passing score is 58 or higher.
- Duolingo English Test score of 105 or higher; or
- SDSU's American Language Institute's Level 106 course – Must earn an overall 3.0 GPA or higher.
*Majors with Additional Requirements
You must meet the CSU admissions requirements and successfully pass an audition for admission to the major and the university. Visit the Prospective Dance Students web page for more information.
You must meet the CSU admissions requirements and successfully pass an audition for admission to the major and the university. Visit the Auditions – Music web page for more information.
You must meet the CSU admissions requirements and you will be ranked for admission with other nursing applicants by college preparatory courses GPA , preparation towards indicated area of study, and additional factors. You must also earn a B or better grade in high school intermediate algebra, biology and chemistry with lab courses. If AP or IB level courses were taken in these areas, you must earn a B or better grade in the course. Visit the Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing - Direct Entry web page for more information.
You must meet the CSU admissions requirements and successfully pass an audition for admission to the major and the university. Visit the Audition Requirements for Performance Majors web page for more information.
All first-year students who graduate from a high school outside of SDSU's local admission area during spring 2024 will be required to live on campus for two years. First and second-year students who live in SDSU campus housing are proven to academically out-perform their peers who live off campus.
The SDSU Sophomore QUEST program enables students to receive customized career development support, flexible guest, meal and roommate policies, and enhanced safety and security. For more information about the Sophomore QUEST program and on-campus housing, visit the Housing and Residential Education website.