I Want to Apply
Applications are accepted between October 1 and December 15 for the following fall.
San Diego State University receives applications from thousands of highly qualified applicants each year. Applicants are admitted based on intended major, so you must choose a major when you apply to SDSU. Learn how to make your application more competitive by closely reviewing the admission requirements before you apply.
Who is a Transfer Student?
You can apply as a transfer student if you will have completed 60 or more transferable semester (or 90 or more quarter) units by:
- the end of spring 2022 for fall 2022 admission.
We do not accept transfer applications from lower-division students with fewer than 60 transferable semester units.
SDSU is only accepting applications for a second bachelor's degree in nursing. Applicants to the second bachelor's degree in nursing must have their first bachelor's degree from an institution that carries United States regional accreditation.
- SDSU is accepting applications from International transfer applicants.
- You must meet the Transfer Admission Minimum Requirements to be considered for admission.
- If you have foreign coursework, please review the information below before applying to SDSU.
International Transcript Evaluation
San Diego State University requires transfer applicants with international coursework to submit official foreign transcripts to both San Diego State University and an approved international transcript evaluation service. All college/university transcripts from foreign institutions must be submitted for detailed, course-by-course credential evaluation. Below is a list of suggested services for the translation and evaluation of your international transcripts. Please contact the evaluation service as soon as possible. The requests for official transcripts and preparation of the evaluation may take several weeks to process. Refer to your SDSU WebPortal account for required documents and deadlines.
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
Foreign Education Credential Services
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520
Washington DC 20036-1135
Phone: (202) 296-3359
The International Evaluation agency will need to mail the completed detailed, course-by-course credential evaluation and transcripts to the address below:
San Diego State University
Office of Admissions
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7455
Before You Apply
Transfer Admission Minimum Requirements
SDSU is impacted at the undergraduate level in all majors and programs. Upper-division transfer applicants exceeding the minimum requirements will receive admission priority for available spaces.
- Review the Transfer Admission Minimum Requirements.
Choose Your Major
- Select the major that you are going to pursue. If you completed 100% of your transferable courses from Palomar or MiraCosta community colleges, review the Majors Not Offered by CSU San Marcos.
- Review the cumulative GPA requirements for the intended major.
- Determine which pathway you are going to follow for admission.
- Be aware of majors with special instructions.
Majors with Special Instructions
You must meet the Transfer Admission Minimum Requirements and successfully pass an audition for acceptance to the major and the University. Please visit the Prospective Dance Student website for additional information.
Applicants to international business must choose a different language from the principal language of instruction used at the high school or secondary school from which they graduated. Please visit the Prospective International Business website for additional information.
You must meet the Transfer Admission Minimum Requirements and successfully pass an audition for acceptance to the major and the University. Please visit the Music Audition and Application Information website for additional information.
Prospective nursing transfer applicants must complete all nursing prerequisites by the end of the fall 2021 term in order to be eligible for fall 2022 admission consideration. Nursing prerequisite courses may not be in progress during spring 2022. No exceptions will be granted.
In addition to applying for admission online at Cal State Apply by December 15, 2021, you must also complete the SDSU Supplemental Application and answer the specific nursing questions by January 24, 2022 for fall 2022 admission. Upper-division and second bachelor's students applying to nursing must complete nursing prerequisite courses by the end of fall 2021. Please visit the School of Nursing website for additional information.
Transfer students admitted to the pre-major in television, film, and new media with an emphasis in production are required to submit a petition portfolio the second Monday in April. Please visit the department website for additional information on the portfolio requirements.
You must meet the Transfer Admission Minimum Requirements and successfully pass an audition for acceptance to the major and the University. Please visit the School of Theatre, Television, and Film website for additional information.
Determine how transfer course credits can be used to meet SDSU General Education and major preparation course requirements:
- The Transfer Admission Planner (TAP) includes course equivalency information for colleges and universities throughout the United States. You can also use TAP to identify any specific grade requirements for individual courses or combination of courses. TAP is updated annually to reflect the most current University Catalog information.
- The ASSIST website is the official repository of articulation for California's public colleges and universities.