Steps to Apply
Have the following items on hand before you begin your application:
- Transcripts/Academic Records: You will be asked to list the institutions you attended, dates of attendance, and any degrees earned.
- English-Language Exam Results: You will be asked to provide any test scores available or dates of any future tests.
- A Method of Payment: You will be asked to pay a $70 application fee at the time of submission.
Complete the California State University online application on the Cal State Apply website. Submit this application to SDSU before submitting any other documents. The application requires a $70 USD fee that is non-refundable and may not be transferred to another term.
Guidelines for Completing the Cal State Apply Application
- The name on your Cal State Apply online application must match the name on your passport.
- Your date of birth must be submitted in Month/Day/Year format (mm/dd/yyyy).
- Your application will only be reviewed for the program you selected on your Cal State Apply application.
- Only one application per student per term will be considered. Do not submit multiple applications, as this will result in processing delays.
- Review the list of graduate programs and the program descriptions in the University Catalog carefully, to confirm you are applying to the correct program.
- Provide an accurate and valid email address. If you fail to provide us with a valid email address, you will not receive information critical to your status as an applicant. Please adjust your privacy settings to ensure you receive emails from SDSU.
- After you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
After completing the Cal State Application, visit SDSU's Graduate: Requirements by Country web page. Carefully review your country of study to determine the exact academic records SDSU requires in order for you to be considered for admission. Once the Graduate Admissions Office has received all required documents, your application will be considered complete and will be forwarded to the program you are applying to for consideration. If your country of study is not listed or if you have questions about the documents required of you, please contact the International Admissions Office.
Within two weeks of submitting your Cal State Apply application, you will receive an email from San Diego State University that includes your SDSUid. Your SDSUid is an identifier to securely access many campus IT services, including my.SDSU, the official online portal for student admissions, student records, financial aid, tuition and fee payment, and more. Please follow the instructions provided in the email to activate your SDSUid account.
Visit my.SDSU and select my.SDSU Login. Enter your SDSUid and password, and select Sign In to log in to my.SDSU.
- Keep your email address updated on your my.SDSU account, as email is SDSU's official form of student communication. It is recommended that you check your email account regularly.
- Use the Profile tile to review and update your contact information, if needed.
- Track Your Status
- Use the Admissions tile to check the status of your application.
- Use the Tasks tile to review any checklist items (To Do's) you need to complete.
If you have questions or problems with your SDSUid, please visit the SDSUid Help page. Additionally, please reach out to the library techology center if you are experiencing difficulties with your account.
For help with my.SDSU, review the my.SDSU Student Resources page.
Graduate applicants with international coursework are required to submit an international evaluation report from one of the following:
- IERF—course by course detail report with course level identification
- WES—course by course (WES ICAP)
- ECE—course by course
The evaluation report must be sent electronically, directly by IERF, WES or ECE to Graduate Admissions. If admitted, additional documents will not be required unless a degree is in progress.
Documents uploaded to the Cal State Apply and/or Interfolio applications are separate from those required by Graduate Admissions and are not updated in your my.SDSU account.
- If you have U.S. coursework, submit official transcripts (in sealed envelopes) from all colleges and universities attended.
- Transcripts must have been issued within the last year. Transcripts received with print dates older than one year will not be accepted.
- Hard copy transcripts for SDSU coursework are not required.
- Electronic transcripts are acceptable. Please ensure that you indicate this preference when making your request. If you are required to provide an email address to send the secure online document to SDSU, please use [email protected].
Deadline to Submit Transcripts
The deadline to submit your transcripts will be indicated in your my.SDSU account.
How Long Will it Take to Process My Documents?
Allow at least three weeks for processing after documents have been submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office. The status of documents and test scores will be updated in your my.SDSU account after they have been evaluated. Please do not submit your documents multiple times, as this will cause delays in processing.
All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants (regardless of citizenship status) applying to SDSU from an international institution where the medium of instruction was not English must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL minimum score of 80 iBT/ 550 PBT: Score can be sent electronically from Educational Testing Service (ETS) using the SDSU institution code: 4682. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- IELTS overall score of 6.5 or higher: Score report must be submitted directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Duolingo English Test score of 105 or higher: Score can be sent electronically from Duolingo to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- PTE minimum score of 58 or higher: Score report must be submitted directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Official transcripts have been received indicating English as the principal language of instruction.
A copy of your official score report or unofficial transcript can be submitted through your my.SDSU account.
Program-specific supplemental documents (resume, personal statement, letter of recommendation) should be submitted directly to your graduate department and not the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Please note the supplemental documents are separate from those required by Graduate Admissions and are not updated in your my.SDSU account. Review the individual graduate program for specific instructions, requirements and deadlines.
Questions regarding program-specific documents should be directed to the department. Contact information for each department and links to the department website can be found on the graduate programs page for your major.
Check your application and admission status periodically through my.SDSU.
What does my admission status mean?
Pending To-Do List*: A document (transcript and/or diploma/degree certificate) or test score required by the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office is missing or has not been completed. An incomplete application status indicates further action is required by the applicant.
Graduate Admissions Evaluation*: Admission file is complete and being evaluated by the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office to determine if the applicant has met the minimum SDSU requirements for admission. Review the University Catalog for minimum requirements. There is no further action required of the applicant.
Department Review*: The SDSU Graduate Admissions Office has completed the initial evaluation and the applicant's file has been forwarded to the graduate department for review. Each graduate department makes admission recommendations based on an applicant's completed file (transcripts, diploma/degree certificate) and any required supplemental documents (resume, personal statement, letter of recommendation). There is no further action required of the applicant.
*Please note this status only applies to required documents submitted to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Applicants should check with their individual department for the status of required supplemental documents.
How long will it take to process my documents?
Allow at least three weeks for processing after documents have been submitted to SDSU. The status of documents and test scores will be updated in your my.SDSU account after they have been evaluated by the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Please do not submit your documents multiple times, as this will cause delays in processing.