Fall Steps to Apply
Complete the California State University online application on the Cal State Apply website. Submit the application to SDSU before submitting any other documents. The application requires a $70 USD fee that is non-refundable and may not be transferred to another term.
Guidelines for Completing the Cal State Apply Application
- The name on your Cal State Apply online application must match the name on your passport.
- Your date of birth must be submitted in Month/Day/Year format (mm/dd/yyyy).
- Your application will only be reviewed for the program you selected on your Cal State Apply application.
- Only one application per student per term will be considered. Do not submit multiple applications as this will result in processing delays.
- Review the list of graduate academic programs and the program descriptions in the Graduate Bulletin to confirm you are applying to the correct program.
- Provide an accurate and valid email address. If you fail to provide us with a valid email address, you will not receive information critical to your status as an applicant. Please adjust your privacy settings to ensure you receive emails from SDSU.
- After you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
Within two weeks of submitting your Cal State Apply application, you will receive an acknowledgment email from San Diego State University that includes your RedID number, which is your SDSU student identification number. You will use this number to create your SDSU WebPortal account and in the future, you will use this number to log in to your SDSU WebPortal account to check the status of your application.
- Visit the SDSU WebPortal home page and select Create New Account.
- Enter your RedID, which is listed in your acknowledgment email, and your birthdate and then select Activate.
- Once you select Activate, an email with a temporary password will be sent to you.
- Go back to the SDSU WebPortal home page and select Log In.
- On the Account Authentication screen, enter your RedID (which is listed in your acknowledgment email) in the RedID/User Name field, and the temporary password that you received in the email (which was sent to you after selecting Activate).
- Select Log In.
Applicants with international coursework are required to submit one record of all academic coursework (transcripts) and proof of degree (diploma/degree certificate) both in the original-language, directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office*. An English translation must accompany all academic records.
*Documents uploaded to the Cal State Apply and/or Interfolio applications are separate from those required by Graduate Admissions and are not updated in the SDSU WebPortal.
Submit Transcripts and Diploma/Degree Certificate
Transcripts, diploma/degree certificates and translations must be submitted from all universities attended. Copies of all documents can be submitted through your SDSU WebPortal account under Upload Admission Documents. Uploading documents through your SDSU WebPortal account is the preferred method of submission.
If you chose to mail copies of your documents from an international location, we recommend using a guaranteed delivery service such as Federal Express or DHL. This allows you to track and confirm delivery of your documents to the Graduate Admissions Office. Documents should be mailed to the exact address listed below. Failure to send documents to the Graduate Admissions Office mailing address may result in your documents not being delivered in a timely manner or not being received at all:
Graduate Admissions Office
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-8225
Deadline to Submit Transcripts and Diploma/Degree Certificate
The deadline to submit transcripts and diploma/degree certificate will be indicated in your SDSU WebPortal account under Admission Status.
How Long Will it Take to Process My Documents?
Allow at least three weeks for processing after documents have been submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office. The status of documents and test scores will be updated in your WebPortal after they have been evaluated. Please do not submit your documents multiple times as this will cause delays in processing.
- Post-Secondary Transcripts
Graduate applicants are required to submit post-secondary transcripts to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Transcripts/grade reports are required from all post-secondary schools attended. Unofficial transcripts/grade reports can be submitted for evaluation purposes. If admitted, official transcripts/grade reports will be required prior to enrollment. Review the Graduate: Requirements by Country for country-specific information. Failure to submit the exact country-specific documents listed will result in your application being canceled.
- Diploma/Degree Certificate
Graduate applicants who have completed their post-secondary degree must submit a copy of their diploma/degree certificate or a provisional degree certificate to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Unofficial copy of diploma/degree certificate or provisional degree certificate can be submitted for evaluation purposes. If admitted, an official attested copy of your diploma/degree certificate will be required prior to enrollment. Applicants with a degree in progress must submit an official attested copy of their diploma/degree certificate after completion of the degree.
- English Translation
If transcripts and diploma/degree certificates are not issued in English, applicants must submit a certified literal English translation of each document. The translated documents must be from the university or certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original language documents in the same format.
All graduate and post-baccalaureate applicants (regardless of citizenship status) applying to SDSU from an international institution where the medium of instruction was not English, must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL minimum score of 80 iBT/ 550 PBT: Score can be sent electronically from Educational Testing Service (ETS) using the SDSU institution code: 4682. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- IELTS overall score of 6.5 or higher: Score report must be submitted directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Duolingo English Test score of 105 or higher: Score can be sent electronically from Duolingo, to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- PTE minimum score of 58 or higher: Score report must be submitted directly to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- Official transcripts have been received indicating English as the principal language of instruction.
A copy of your official score report or unofficial transcript can be submitted through your SDSU WebPortal account under Upload Admission Documents.
Program-specific supplemental documents (resume, personal statement, letter of recommendation) should be submitted directly to your graduate department. Please do not send supplemental documents to the SDSU Graduate Admissions Office. Review the individual academic program for specific instructions, requirements and deadlines.
Questions regarding program specific documents should be directed to the department. Contact information for each department and links to the department website can be found on the academic programs page for your major.