I Want to Apply
Fall 2021 Freshman Admission
San Diego State University accepts freshman applications between October 1 and December 15* for admission the following fall. Get started by reviewing the admission criteria below.
Who is a Freshman?
You can apply to SDSU as a first-time freshman if you have:
- not yet graduated high school, but are on track to graduate with a high school diploma by spring 2021.
- graduated high school, but have not taken college courses beyond the summer after graduation.
Before You Apply
How Freshman Applicants Are Ranked
San Diego State University’s admissions process considers a comprehensive range of factors for each applicant. We seek to enroll students who are both academically qualified and demonstrate the potential to contribute to SDSU’s diverse community. SDSU Aztecs have a wide variety of backgrounds, curiosities and passions.
- A–G Requirements
To meet minimum admission requirements, you must complete, typically with letter grades of C- or higher, a 15-unit comprehensive pattern of college preparatory courses known in California as A-G requirements. For fall admission, you must complete your subject requirements by the spring term before enrolling at SDSU. Review A–G courses.
- High School GPA
We consider the breadth and depth of your academic record, and encourage you to challenge yourself by taking a rigorous curriculum including Advanced Placement (AP), honors, and/or International Baccalaureate (IB) classes.
- Preparation Towards Indicated Area of Study
You must choose a major when you apply to SDSU. All majors are competitive, and every major has more applicants than available spots (the CSU calls this impaction). While we look at all of the college-prep coursework you have taken during high school, we also consider your performance and the number of units taken in courses most relevant to predicted success in your intended academic discipline.
- Computer Science and Engineering Majors: Preference is given to applicants who have taken and earned strong grades in science and mathematics courses.
- Dance, Music and Theatre Arts-Performance: Applicants must successfully pass an audition and meet general admissions requirements for admission to the major and the university (typically scheduled in February).
- Nursing: You must earn a B or better grade in high school intermediate algebra, biology, and chemistry with lab courses for consideration. If AP or IB level courses are taken in these areas, you must earn a B or better grade in the course. Preference is given to applicants who have taken and earned strong grades in science and mathematics courses. Review our freshmen nursing prerequisite requirements for more information.
- Additional Factors
Special consideration is given to students who have overcome life obstacles, participated in college preparatory programs, and attend high schools within SDSU’s local admission area.
Note: In alignment with the California State University (CSU) system, SDSU will not require or consider SAT or ACT exam scores from first-year applicants for spring 2021, fall 2021 and spring 2022 entry. Scores may be requested post-admission to assist with course placement.
Apply October 1–December 15*
SDSU uses the CSU common admission application through the Cal State Apply website. A nonrefundable filing fee of $70 must accompany your application. If you cannot apply online, contact the Office of Admissions to make special arrangements to apply electronically with campus assistance.
Admission decisions are initially based on self-reported data on the application, so we do not need your transcripts until after you are admitted. You must provide complete and accurate information on your application, such as high school GPA, course titles and grades. Transcripts will be used to verify your self-reported information and any misreporting will jeopardize your admission status.
Need Help? Review Tutorial.
Cal State Apply Application Checklist
Plan ahead and apply early. Have the following items on hand before you begin your application:
- Unofficial transcripts. You'll be asked to enter all courses you've completed, those currently in progress, and any you plan to take. Enter your grades as they appear on your transcript using your school grading scale.
- Your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one.
- Your citizenship status.
- Credit card. Application fees are due at the time of submission and are paid by credit card.
- Annual income. If you are a dependent, then report your parents income. If you are independent, then report your income.
- Your parent's employment background and two recommendations. This applies only if you are applying to the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP).
*On December 1, the California State University (CSU) application deadline for fall 2021 admission was extended from December 4 to December 15.
San Diego State University has not made any final decisions about course offering modalities for the next academic year, and other student requirements related to the student experience. Regarding residency requirements, we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation in our area and are identifying a plan that would provide the greatest flexibility to our students for Fall 2021 in alignment with the academic and co-curricular offerings.
As more information becomes available, we continue to adapt and will provide current information on the university's Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information website.